Top 10 Dive Sites in the World: Maaya Thila, Maldives
The Maldives is a spectacular group of Islands, and one of the world’s premier scuba diving destinations. The islands themselves – with amazing white sand, crystal clear warm waters, and abundance of coral and marine life – are a mecca for scuba diving enthusiasts and leisure seekers. Many make the pilgrimage each year to relax in paradise and enjoy some of the finest scuba diving on earth.
Maaya Thila is the pinnacle of scuba diving in The Maldives. It is a breathtaking dive site, abundant in marine life and unspoilt corals – truly an underwater heaven.
Expect to see: Turtles, Moray Eels, White Tip Sharks, Fusiliers, Octopus, Stone Fish, Angelfish, Barracuda, Blue-lined Snapper, Butterfly Fish, Clownfish, Grey Reef Shark, Moorish Idol, Parrotfish, Triggerfish and plenty more.
Getting here: Fly to The Maldives International Airport – Ibrahim Nasir Male’ International Airport. From there you can travel by seaplane, or choose from a number of boat operators to island hop around the islands.
Here are the Top Ten Scuba Diving sites in the world:
- SS Yongala Wreck, Great Barrier Reef, Far North Queensland, Australia
- Blue Corner Wall, Palau, Micronesia
- Barracuda Point, Sipadan Island, Malaysian Borneo
- SS Thistlegorm, Egyptian Red Sea, Egypt
- Great Blue Hole, Belize
- Maaya Thila, Maldives
- Richelieu Rock, Surin Islands, Thailand
- Navy Pier, Exmouth, Australia
- Gordon Rocks, Galapagos, Ecuador
- Tubbataha Reef, Palawan, Phillipines